HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

Health Department Lactation Consultant Shares The HUG



Lisa King is a Nutritionist and IBCLC at a health department in Salem, Oregon. Though an experienced IBCLC, she found lots to share with her patients from the HUG Your Baby training. Here is what she has to say.


I am a Public Health Nutritionist and IBCLC. I am so glad I took the time to go through the Certified HUG Teacher training. Many breastfeeding relationships are lost to misunderstandings and uncertainties about what baby's behaviors mean. New parents need reassurance about things such as normal infant sleep patterns, feeding cues, and the meaning of gaze aversion. They need to know that it is not only okay, but important to promptly respond to baby's signs of distress. Now that I have taken this course, I have something helpful to point out in every parent visit and it is a joy to be able to help set these new parents at ease and increase their enjoyment of their baby. I am glad that I ordered the starter kit too, since these reference materials make it even easier to share the concepts that were presented.